Saturday, June 4, 2011

Vladimir Day 2


In our first full day in Vladimir, we went to the ministry center after breakfast to meet with our interpreters, and run two educational sessions, as well as to have some fun and conversation with graduates as well as pizza.

It took a little while to get started as many of the graduates did not show up or were late, but once we got started it was great. I was able to speak with Sasha, a young woman who was a graduate from Pokrov in 2001 (I think). She was in the U.S. last week and I got to know her a bit better today. She had been the victim of trafficking back in about 2003. She is now married and has a beautiful 2 year old girl. Don Shive started after tea and cookies. He presented on how to have a fair argument. As always Don was engaging as well as clear in walking through the elements of fair fighting.

We took a break, then I spoke on personal finance, talking about a budget as a road map. We discussed budgeting, and budget killers. We also talked about some tips for sticking with a program.

Then we had pizza and played some games and talked. Some played Jenga. I also spoke about Russian and American economies with one of the graduates.

We left for dinner and upon arriving back at the hotel, I was waiting for a friend so that I could deliver some clothing sent by her mother. While waiting outside the hotel, I witnessed a very sad sight. An older woman was searching the hotel trash cans in front for water bottles with water remaining. She would pour any remaining water into her own water bottle until it was full. I also had a very important discussion with one of our interpreters. It went on so late, that I arrived back at my room just before 11 p.m.

Nathan was asleep and I could not wake him. Due to the way Russian hotels often work, there was one key and Nathan had it inside the room. I went to the front desk and had to use my limited Russian to explain that my friend was sleeping and that I needed the room unlocked. They sent up a maid and she tried to open the door, but then couldn't so she just walked away and I got no other help.

Just about the time I was going to resign myself to sleeping in the hallway, a very inebriated gentleman about 25 years old came up and assisted me in waking Nathan. So, now I am about to go to sleep in my bed.

Good Night.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Oh my! Your room story made me laugh. On a totally different note, your story of the woman and the water made me think about having just read "Priceless" on our trip to CA. I am even more convicted to continue an active involvement with our Russia ministry.