Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pokrov Day 2


It was our first full day at the orphanage and we made our annual trip to the lake. We did not have a huge bonfire this time, but we did eat on the blankets laid out for us. We played a lot of games and had a lot of fun. Many of us made new friends. I also was able to spend some time with my sponsored child, Kiril, who I had not seen at all yesterday.

The theme of today was camping. We helped the kids put up tents before we played games.

I also met a girl who had some obvious scars on her arms from past issues. She is a beautiful young 15 year old, and I have no idea what led her to do this to herself.

Kiril is an interesting young boy, still small and thin, but more confident than last year.

BJ led a session on Cooperation. Between the skit and the games, the kids really got the point of the need to work together. BJ ended the session by giving each child a life saver candy and made the rule that the kids could not bend their arms. Many quickly realized that the only way to get a life saver to eat was to exchange lifesavers with another person.

Just before dinner, Zach got a chance to jam with two of the boys from the orphanage. He had a blast playing some instrumental hard rock.

After dinner, we began our annual competition of Russians versus Americans in soccer. This first game turned out to be a 3-0 win for the Russians, but we are determined to come back. More to come on this one.

Please pray for me, as I pulled my calf muscle again. It is the third time in two weeks, and I really want to play some soccer. I also felt bad for our team as I was the goal keeper and let in an easy goal. We will be back.

Tomorrow's theme is "Positive Emotions."

1 comment:

Loveland Road Runners said...

Thank you for sharing and 'Hi Mom!'